Monday, May 3, 2010

Closer to the Heart

As Neil Peart once wrote:

And the men who hold high places
Must be the ones who start
To mold a new reality
Closer to the heart, closer to the heart

The blacksmith and the artist
Reflect it in their art
They forge their creativity
Closer to the heart, yes closer to the heart

Philosophers and ploughmen
Each must know his part
To sow a new mentality
Closer to the heart, well closer to the heart

You can be the captain
And I will draw the chart
Sailing into destiny
Closer to the heart, yes closer to the heart
I said closer to the heart, yeah closer to the heart
Closer to your heart, I said closer to your heart

Those of you who know me probably know that Rush is one of my favorite bands of all times. Among their songs "Closer to the Heart" is very much a favorite of mine. I won't say it's my absolute favorite but it would definitely be in the top ten.
Anyway, enough about the general stuff. This is about the song itself. The first verse reminds me that I need to be the change I want to see. I'm not getting a big ego here and saying that I'm one of those guys in high places but I defiantly believe that Gods plan for me includes me being a leader. I have to mold a new reality, a better place.
That first verse is the one that speaks to me the loudest but the rest of the song resonates as well. The third line about the Philosophers and the Ploughmen reminds me of the fact each and every person we come into contact with influences our thoughts and actions. The last line simpll tells me that I can't do everything alone.

I might be completely misinterpreting these lyrics but I think it's not so much what the writer thinks and was trying to say but what the listener, or reader, gets from it. Well, that's my thought for the day....Also, cookies. Thoughts questions, or mockery? Post it below!

The Process, Projected.

3 comments:

  1. It's crazy how you are able to somehow relate each stanza to your own life. I like cookies!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cookies are good. Even better than tacos. ;)

    ReplyDelete